Mexican Potato Fritters
Prep: 15 min, Cook: 20 min.
- 1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/4 lb. canned green chilies, rinsed and chopped (wear rubber gloves)
- 6 ounces shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbs. cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbs. masa harina or cornmeal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup salsa
Place potatoes in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 10-12 minutes or until tender. Transfer potatoes to a bowl and mash lightly. Stir chilies, cheese and cilantro into potatoes. Stir in masa harina, baking powder and salt to taste. Add enough water for mixture to hold together. Form dough into patties. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Fry fritters 3-4 minutes per side or until well browned. Transfer cooked fritters to paper towels to drain. Serve with salsa.
Per serving: calories 248, fat 7.2g, 26% calories from fat, cholesterol 4mg, protein 18.1g, carbohydrates 29.3g, fiber 3.3g, sugar 4.1g, sodium 897mg, diet points 5.4.
Dietary Exchanges: Milk: 0.0, Vegetable: 0.9, Fruit: 0.0, Bread: 1.3, Lean meat: 0.0, Fat: 1.3, Sugar: 0.0, Very lean meat protein: 1.5
view detailed nutritional information